Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

"If you want to hear God laugh...

...tell him your plans."

Plans.  Expectations.  It's been said that these 2 things are our elusive attempts at control.  Control is subjective.  Do we ever really have it?  I believe in the cliches "Everything happens for a reason" and "What is meant to be will be."  But how does that agree with "taking control of the situation"?  While we can't just expect everything to fall into place while we look on, we aren't in total control of our fate, either.  I've been told that finding happiness in life requires maintaining a delicate balance between holding on and letting go; trying to understand that something greater than you is happening over which you have no control, but trying to make the best decisions in each situation with the knowledge you have.

Life doesn't always go according to our plan. But that doesn't mean it's not going along according to some bigger plan. We are right where we are supposed to be at any given time. It might not feel right & it definitely might not be where we want to be, but there are lessons to be learned & experiences to be undertaken. We have to step back, take it all in & make the best of it, knowing that everything will work out the way it should.

Over the past few months, I have talked a lot about my 2012 plan:  internship, graduate, get a job, move, get married, finally start my "adult life".  Well, I went from 60 to 0 in about 2.5 seconds.  How the heck did my life plan get derailed?  Fast forward a few months from when I made that plan for 2012 and here I am single, unemployed, and living at home.  Is this post from a few days ago making a little more sense now?

I have recently discovered that I am the type of person to whom you can talk until you're blue in the face.  I am stubborn and determined (possibly even deluded?) enough to not let it phase me.  If I have an idea in my mind (i.e. my 2012 plan), the words coming out of your mouth are falling on deaf ears.  I  am the type of person who must realize things for herself.  Yes, it makes things more difficult, and a lot of trouble could be saved if I'd just listen, but the outcomes are much more valuable to me because I realize them on my own.  A few months ago, someone shared this quote with me:


We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
-Joseph Campbell.

So where is all this going?  My 2012 plan wasn't exactly logical.    But I want what I want when I want it, so I refused to face the music.  But the further we got into the year, I realized things weren't going exactly according to my timeline and that's one of the absolute WORST feelings:  Life is NOT moving forward how you want it and there is absolutely NOTHING you can do about it.  I can't even think of an emotion to describe what that feels like.  When you realize you are in no way, shape, or form in control.  When what is actually happening is so far from what you want and what you think you're ready for.


And that, dear friends, is where I let go.  I let go of my vision and my "plan" and chose to chart a new course.  I have always been a "less talk, more action" kind of girl, so when things started to veer from my set timeline, I chose to take action.  Whether that was the best thing to do at the time has yet to be determined...

If we get so wrapped up in what we think is supposed to happen, we miss a lot of what is actually happening.  I'm still not where I want to be, but for whatever reason, I'm where I need to be.  It isn't easy.  It's really hard.  And uncomfortable.  And I question just about everything.  I'm ready for things to stop feeling like they are falling apart and start feeling like they are falling into place.  I'm ready for things to make sense. 

In a few years time, we'll look back and everything will click. It may not make sense now, but this path is going to take me where I need to be and I'll be all the more wiser when I get there.  Until then, I must remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment