Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sorry, Mrs. Roosevelt...

...you were wrong.

If "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" then why am I forgoing my original blog post because I'm feeling a little down in the dumps?

Not only do I feel like I've been thrown to the wolves, those wolves chewed me up and spit me out.  Needless to say, my first class at the new gym did not go so well.  I actually planned a pretty sweet circuit class, so the class itself was great.  But it was made apparent tonight that I have pretty big shoes to fill.  I didn't realize until I stepped into the arena also known as the aerobics studio that I was taking over an already-established class with a beloved instructor.  The fitness programming is undergoing some changes so the Wednesday night instructor moved to Thursday and I fell right into her old slot.  I'll never be her and my class style will never be the same as hers -- but try telling that to the wolves.  I felt like the outsider from the moment someone asked, "Are we not doing stations?" and the response to my "We are" was a glance at me, the clock, then back at me with pursed lips.  The energy was low and a few of the participants were giving each other "the eye" and I even lip-read "kinda boring"!  I'm sorry, I don't feel like I should be blamed if you're taking it easy.

Long story short, I'm going back next week and thoroughly kicking their butts.  At the end of every class, I always ask and welcome feedback and make it known that it does not hurt my feelings -- it only helps me to make the class better.  It never fails -- the eye-rollers and constant complainers never approach me.  With that being said, I'll adjust the class accordingly without their input.  Until then, I'm recovering by painting my nails, watching Glee, and enjoying a nice glass of vino.

1 comment:

  1. I feel bad for instructors sometimes, because when you have a "Favorite teacher" for a "Favorite class" it can be hard to fill in for them. At the Y here, there is a spin instructor who is like.. worshipped. I'm sure when he's not there, most people just don't even bother to come.
    It is still rude for people to act like that and not give you a chance. Kick their butts next week!!

    ReplyDelete