Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Decide what to be and go be it.

This is one of my favorite quotes from the Avett Brothers' Head Full of Doubt.  What does the best version of you look like?  What's standing in between your current self and your best self?  When it comes to change, we are our own worst enemies.  One of my biggest pet peeves is listening to people talk about who they want to be and what they want to do followed by multiple excuses or contradictory behavior.  Stop getting in your own way.  Decide what to be and go be it.


I'm sure you just read that and rolled your eyes, but it really is that simple.  Yes, I do recognize the fact that something called "life" happens and so much is out of our control.  But we are in control of so much -- decisions about being our best selves included.  If you remember my last post, I was pretty down about falling off the healthy wagon this week.  All the interns stayed up late last night and the last thing I wanted to do today was go outside and run.  But I did.  Not only did I enjoy the 70 degree island weather, I ran to the beach.  And not only did I run to the beach, I took my shoes off and walked in the ocean.  I have been so blessed with this opportunity and it would be foolish to waste it.  The point here?  I got out of my own way and did something I needed to do to be my best self.  And I feel 100 times better for it.

What's in your way?  Decide what to be.  Go be it.




No comments:

Post a Comment